About the Title

I spent quite some time thinking of a clever-yet-not-cheesy blog title, but it needs an explanation. My home church is Valley Chapel Community Church in Fairfield, Ohio. My parents met there, and I've been going there for my entire life. Valley Chapel is a big part of my life and walk with the Lord.

In Spain, I will be living and teaching in the comarca (sort of like a county) Conca de Barbera. Also, the school district where I'll be teaching is called the ZER Conca. Conca is Catalan for the Spanish word cuenca, which means basin.

Thus, the title "From the Valley to the Basin" was invented. I'm coming from Valley Chapel to the Spanish Conca--or Basin.

Monday, October 11, 2010

An Update on Sarah--from the Sister in The US :-)

Hello all! Sarah has given me permission to write on her blog. So, knowing all of her passwords etc, I have hacked into here and entered myself in to write. :-) She is very busy and her internet access has been rather sporadic this week, so I'm going to gather some of her emails she's been writing and give an update on her using MY perspective! Hee! :-) You will just have to endure the comma splices and not so perfect grammar, I'm sure Sarah will edit this post at some point to make it perfect. :-)

First off, Sarah made it to Spain, in case you didn't know. :-) We got a call from her at 6:30 a.m. our time on Sunday Oct. 3. She has been in her flat since day one and really likes it. The only thing she really needs at this point is a microwave and an iron, otherwise she has the stuff she needs. She doesn't have a dryer, instead it's a drying rack.

The area she is staying at is very beautiful and safe. She loves the area and loves the kids and teachers as well. The older kids on her first day wanted her to sign their hands and arms. :-) I will let her give you more details on that. The teachers have been amazing in getting her settled and have an excellent network to help her. She is still looking for a church, but did run into another Christian girl last week when she and some others got together to learn what they missed at orientation. This girl goes to church in Barcelona, and Sarah may try to go over there some weekend.

I asked her if she has seen any cats and dogs around, and she has, she isn't able to have any at her apartment. (a good thing too, what would she do with it when it's time to come home??)

Yesterday she went to a monastery with one of the teachers and her family and enjoyed it a lot.

One of the main problems she's had this first week in Spain was getting her ATM to work, after lots of calls, emails, texts, etc. Dad and Mom had to set up a checking account for her here, scan the document for her to sign, then Sarah had to send it back, and we were finally able to get it set up. Thankfully, the teachers loaned her money while we worked to get her set up over here. Happily everything is now settled and she can get money now. :-) It's been a crazy week for us here in the States. :-)

She does have a cell phone, however it's expensive to call from it, so we really have not talked with her a whole lot yet, she's hoping to figure out a system for calling us soon, and hopefully a system to have more time to write emails and blog.

I believe those are some of the major highlights. She is loving her time over there. Big Sister (me) is already wanting to go visit her. :-) We will see if I can work that out sometime early next year. :-)

Thank you for your prayers for Sarah and feel free to send her an email! She loves to hear from you, but may not have time to respond anytime soon.

--Amanda the Big Sister in the U.S. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment