About the Title

I spent quite some time thinking of a clever-yet-not-cheesy blog title, but it needs an explanation. My home church is Valley Chapel Community Church in Fairfield, Ohio. My parents met there, and I've been going there for my entire life. Valley Chapel is a big part of my life and walk with the Lord.

In Spain, I will be living and teaching in the comarca (sort of like a county) Conca de Barbera. Also, the school district where I'll be teaching is called the ZER Conca. Conca is Catalan for the Spanish word cuenca, which means basin.

Thus, the title "From the Valley to the Basin" was invented. I'm coming from Valley Chapel to the Spanish Conca--or Basin.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Final thoughts...at least for now!

I have to cram in the last of what’s happened because I leave in a few short days and will return the laptop to Laura soon. So here are some bullet points of what’s left! In my dream world, I’d elaborate on these points post-Spain. Regardless, here’s the...cough... “short version” hee hee:

  • School with Olga round II was fantastic. We connected so much better the second time around, and I also felt such a better connection with the kids.
  • On May 20th, I took an official Spanish exam (DELE) in Tarragona. Javi was both a huge influence and help in deciding to take it...as well as prepare for it. And like typical Spain, they never sent me the information my mail like they said they would. Javi had to call them twice before they finally sent it via email. I had sent several emails asking about the information, but that just doesn’t work here. :-) The exam covered everything: readings, written parts, listening, grammar/vocab, and an oral exam. Javi, being the incredibly generous and fatherly person he is, drove me to the university where the exam would be held and waited around with me until they called my name. He reminded me so much of my dad when he’s nervous. Pacing, asking last-minute questions...he even gave me an extra pen “just in case” and wanted me to call him when I was done with the exam. And I THINK the exam went well...it’s hard to know. I’ll get the results in August. It was by far the most official Spanish exam I’ve taken, and I was completely drained after taking it. But I felt such encouragement and support from Javi and the other teachers. There are lots of things to talk about with this, but I’ll leave it like this for now!
  • I celebrated Javi’s birthday with him and his family at their house on May 11th, and I just love spending time with that family. It also felt special to sing happy birthday in Spanish AND with a family. I miss doing that and look forward to celebrating birthdays with my family again!
  • I’ve really gotten close to the other teachers in the ZER, especially in Pira and Barberà. Cristina, Cati, Laura (another Laura), Anna Maria...not to mention the English teachers and, well, everyone!
  • I saw some of a feria (fair) in Montblanc with Carmen Torres and family, which included Montblanc’s famous giants, a king and queen. It was neat...but sooo hot that day! Later that evening, Anna Maria and I went to four different villages. It was a special time with her (we also saw her village), but it was pouring down rain later on!
  • The English course we took on Wednesdays was fun and helpful overall. I now have some certificates and lots of teaching tips, and I develped a good relationship with the American teacher, Ruth. Several teachers from the ZER and I also presented a lesson on the Three Billy Goats, which was time-consuming and fun. :-)
  • Tutoring increased a LOT in May! Paula and Josep Maria have been my “steady ones” since I first got here, and Anna Maria and I started back up again...but this time with two other teachers from the ZER and another English teacher I met in the English course. Also, I started playing with a little boy named Joan in English. His mom is a friend of another ZER teacher, and they live in Montblanc. The parents are so sweet, and they have another little one on the way. The first few times with Joan (2 or 3 years old) were dreadful, with him crying...but in the end, we became good friends and had a good time. He’s obsessed with all things Sant Jordi and giant related, as well as music...that kid can pound on drums and blow recorders all day! Hee. They gave me a cute children’s book in Catalan about Catalan traditions on my last day, and we exchanged contact info. They were really sad that we hadn’t met in October when I could have spent the year with Joan, and they said that if I ever come back, I have a “job” with them! :-) Great family.
  • Church: such a blessing. I’ve gotten together with many friends these past few weeks for Sunday lunches, and it’s been great to just talk to believers! I also met another auxiliar from Canada, named Barb, and we’ve become good friends. She’s in her early thirties and only started learning Spanish since January, so I translate a lot of the service for her when I can. She’s a fantastic violinist!
  • Specific names of people I’ve either eaten with or spent time with at church that I’d like to talk about more someday: Jorge, Elisabet, Miriam, Barb, Yolanda, and Edeli, and Pablo.
  • I was able to see Dani and Miriam’s wedding, which was so neat! There are several differences from US weddings, but most importantly, it was so special to see these two great friends get married.
  • I saw Jorge get baptized as well!
  • Edeli told me about a “young people’s” Sunday School class, and I’ve been attending that since spring or so. I know this topic is debatable, but I have to say that it’s been so helpful and refreshing to attend a small Sunday School class designed for people my age. I never realized how much I missed that until I experienced it again. And to do it in Spanish? I love it! Pablo teaches the class usually, and he’s just great. He leads the music, preaches sometimes, teaches this class, is a lawyer by profession is super nice and has helped me grow spiritually so much, and is the dad to fun Miriam, one of my best Lleida church friends. I really hope to talk about them more sometime!
  • Last days:
  • The last day in Barberà was so special. The only downside was that Olga had a major migraine. But the kids all made things for me and gathered in a big circle outside with me in the middle. Cristina said some parting words (which almost made me cry!), and each class went up to give me their gifts (a booklet of drawings and pictures, a poster of the US flag, a diploma, a group picture, hearts with special phrases written on them, flowers, etc.). We then had a BIG group hug and went inside for some snacks, which specifically included US s’mores. I’m so glad Amanda was able to bring up marshmallows and Graham Crackers...it was so fun, and the kids LOVED them!!
  • My last day in Solivella included everyone gathering in one room, shouting “surprise!” and giving me a notebook full of drawings and pictures. Later we had some snacks, and there were a lot of hugs!
  • My last day in Rocafort (the final two weeks were with Laura) included more s’mores, another special booklet of drawings and pictures, me playing the Star Spangled Banner on the keyboard (thanks to Montse, the music teacher! It was a lot of fun. :-)), more hugs, and a promise to send a picture of me in America when I get back. Nuria told me later that it doesn’t matter what I’m doing...the kids are just obsessed with seeing a picture of me back home. :-)
  • My last day with the entire ZER (all four schools) was an epic excursion in Barberà. We watched a film, made bricks from straw and mud, visited Barberà’s castle, listened to a man talk about Arab culture (and tried tea! Oh, and I HAVE to talk about the questions the kids asked that poor man. So hilarious!), a theater performance of the 1st and 2nd graders in Solivella (alternative story of Sant Jordi), a performance of the 5th and 6th graders in Pira (Cinderella), and finally...as all nearly-200 kids, 30-some teachers, workers, and parents were together in the theater, Javi and all three English teachers were up front and asked me to come up. My first reaction was to sink down in my chair, but after prodding from some nearby teachers, I walked down to chants of SARAH! SARAH! SARAH! They presented me with a beautiful plaque, which they so didn’t have to do, and I gave some parting words to everyone. Wow. It was just so...embarrassing and special! And there were so many hugs from the children afterwards! It was SO wonderful to have a last day with everyone together. And it was even more fun than the castanyada in October...because this time, I knew ALL of the kids! :-)
  • Last day in Pira: this marked my very last day in the schools, May 26th. The school as a whole gave me a notebook with drawings and pictures during the recess break the day before, with everyone gathered around. I showed each picture to the kids and said things like, “Oh, and who is THIS?” and the little ones would chant back, “Mariona! Albert! Arnau!” etc. It was so cute. :-) Afterwards, the teachers met in the room where we eat together and had snacks and, um, champagne. Laura didn’t drink any because she’s pregnant, and I was like...sigh. People still try to get me to like alcohol in this culture, and it’s just gross. Sorry. I did my typical Sarah sip that I do in similar situations, but the main thing is to do the “ching ching” with everyone. :-P Anyway, it was a nice thought, but I so snuck water later on! Haha. The REAL last day was extra special. The little ones (my favorite little ones are in Pira) were all prepped with the news since Anna Maria is their teacher, and we had a fun last day together, singing songs, telling stories, etc. They were also VERY talkative that day and told me all sorts of random things...how many teeth they lost, how many siblings they have, asking what I’ll do in America, declaring that they saw my plane to America yesterday, etc. So cute! The 1st and 2nd graders, another one of my favorite classes, were soooo affectionate. Hugs, kisses, high-fives, little ones plastering themselves on me begging me not to go...and then most trying to figure out the exact moment I’d leave for America. Friday night? Right after class? :-) Goodbyes with the 3rd and 4th graders was...interesting, haha. After the certificates (ah, I’ll explain that in a minute!), several came up and gave me more gifts...notes, drawings, totally random things like used pencils, erasers, highlighters, beads...haha. Anything they found in their desk, I’m guessing! And this sounds weird, but I have to talk about it. I’m no expert on crushes, but I’m pretty sure there are some boys in this class and at least one in the 5th/6th grade class that have crushes on me. Such an awkward feeling, haha. I shook everyone’s hands after giving them certificates in the 3rd and 4th grade class, declaring that Americans do that, and one boy specifically wanted to do the typical “two kisses”. That, naturally, led to all sorts of jibes to the poor guy, who looked red but happy, and then another boy declared in Catalan, “Hey! Why didn’t she kiss everyone??”. Ha! So I had to kiss everyone after that. :-P Silly cuties. Farewells in the oldest class were really special, and they gave me a little stuffed frog with a handmade “Pira” banner, an address book so they could write their contact info in it, a booklet of drawings...and a special, carefully thought-out message in English from three of the student spokespeople. And to read what some of these kids wrote...it brings tears to my eyes! After many hugs, kisses, contact information discussions, my final farewell was with Elisabet in the 3rd and 4th grade class. She’s a quiet, sensitive girl, and we’ve become good friends. I think my “breaking moment” with her was when I danced with her after the Carnival event in Pira. Anyway, she was crying pretty hard, so I had to give her an extra-special hug and kiss and try to convince her that everything’s okay. Her brother was laughing at her, which annoyed me, but I know he was just as sad as was trying to hide it. Ah, and Paula spent a long time trying to explain to me in English that if I come back, I can go to her house, knock on her door, and then I can stay with her and her family. :-)
  • Thanks to Mom and Amanda back home, I had English certificates to give to everyone. They were a big hit and a good way to make my last days special for the kids. And to this day, the 3rd and 4th graders in Pira are obsessed with getting my autograph, so it was a good excuse NOT to sign 21 papers and arms that day. See! I signed it, right here! Haha. Ah, and this class also tried to give me their soccer ball, which Laura informed them that they can’t give away school property, so we compromised and I wrote a message on it. :-) There’s no way I’d be able to fit that poor dirty ball in my luggage anyway! :-D
  • After classes, we had a teachers’ meeting, which is stuff I’ve gotten used to. It was mostly to talk about the upcoming school trips (that I won’t be apart of...I really wish I could’ve finished the school year with them!) and practice a song for the upcoming party for the ZER. The ZER, which is all four schools combined, is celebrating 20 years this year, so all sorts of fun things are planned. They chose a song, Hold My Hand, and Javi wrote some beautiful Catalan lyrics to it. We practiced it several times during the meeting, and as I sang this Catalan song that I could almost perfectly understand and ALMOST sing it all, I looked around at these teachers I’ve grown to love...and boy, it was hard trying to blink back tears! It was a good way to end my time with them.
  • Based on clues I’d been picking up, I thought there would be a dinner or something for me after the teachers’ meeting. There wasn’t. I knew that the English teachers and I would all meet on Monday the 30th, so I mentally figured that THAT must be the “surprise” dinner. Javi said that I needed to stop by their flat later that evening to sign some papers, and I honestly and truly believed him...
  • When I came by their house later on, I was a little weirded out that they didn’t have me come up. Instead, Javi came down and proceeded to wait around with me by his car until Cati was ready. Okaaay. I was still thinking “sign papers” mode, but I thought that maybe Javi and Cati wanted to do something special with me afterwards. Cati came down eventually, and I was shocked when Javi told me to get in the car...because we had to drive to “look for” the papers. This was getting weirder and weirder! It was a good 5 minutes in the car when it dawned on me that this was all a set-up to take me to the surprise dinner. AHHH...I love these guys. Apparently there were teachers driving in front of us and Carmen Torres behind us, but I was totally clueless. When Javi parked and we walked out, I told Cati that I was pretty sure we were NOT signing papers. :-) She chuckled in her quiet way and tried to be vague, but as I walked in the fancy restaurant with my close-enough-to-Spanish-parents, I was welcomed by the majority of teachers from the ZER grinning and clapping. So fun and awkward!
  • My last evening with them was fantastic. It was an Italian restaurant, and I had pizza that lasted a good 2-3 meals and tiramisu for dessert. I sat next to Cati, and I think we had the best conversation we’ve ever had...or else have had in a long time. I was able to ask her all sorts of questions I’d been wondering about her...what it was like to live in Soria, central Spain, and move to Catalunya, learn a new language, adjust to a new culture...anyway, I just had a fantastic time with her.
  • Then came gifts and games. They gave me a personalized certificate saying that I acquired a certain level of Spanish among Catalans (haha), and they gave me pretty much the best thing ever...it was so sweet, so personal...it was a stuffed animal cat with a little ZER Conca tag on it. It was so me...and more importantly, it just showed me how well these people knew me.
  • The game was hilarious! Anna Maria and Laura worked on a version of “Pasa Palabra,” which is a famous game show in Spain. The contestant goes through each letter of the alphabet and is given clues to guess a word. They personalized the entire alphabet to represent my time in Spain: places I visited, words I use ALL the time, school vocab, where I lived, how long I lived here, Sarahisms, and even a common “bad word” that they did just to hear me say it. Snort. Laura said that I couldn’t leave Spain without saying it, and I guess I did...but I almost refused to! :-) I also liked the ones about how much luggage I’d have to carry back with me and the one about Paris. For that one, the clue was (in Spanish): “the country you visited with your sister and that you said ‘We’ll always have...’. They had to have seen my Paris pictures on Facebook and the title of the album to be that specific. It just...I don’t know...warmed my heart to realize how well these people knew me!
  • Javi was getting bored later on and somehow ended up with my ZER kitty. He pretended to make it drink wine, talk on a cell phone, and then he proceeded to toss it around to the other teachers. Somehow that started a game where a teacher caught the cat, said a phrase or word I use all of the time, and then would toss it to another teacher. It was like...like summing up my life in Spain! Cutre, chulo, guay, todo bien, un cacolat, fa goig, me ha pasado pipa, esto es España, me importa un bledo, banana...all phrases that have such a Sarah history behind it. I hope to elaborate more on it someday! To sum, it was a super special evening. And throughout all of these special events, I gave little speeches in Spanish. Whoa!
  • Last day with the program director and the American teacher: Carmen Tinoco is the “boss” of my program for the whole Tarragona province. I met up with her and Ruth in Reus, thanks to Carmen Vielba taking me (she had to do shopping there), and since Ruth arrived late, I had a neat time alone with Carmen Tinoco for awhile. We talked about my experience here, and it came down to this: I was raving about everyone in the ZER, especially Javi, and she was raving about me because the other teachers rave about me. Basically, the ZER Conca is NOT a typical school, and I’m not a typical auxiliar (most prefer to do the bare minimum and then party). We made a perfect match. Carmen calls it luck, but I know for a fact that it’s the beautiful providence of my Lord and Savior. Haha, I can’t even write this without tearing up! I confirmed with her that there was NO way I’d be able to get the same school again, but she encouraged me to look into working with other ZERs in Catalunya, even ones close to my ZER. I don’t know...it just wouldn’t be the same. But we’ll see what the future brings! I at least need a full year at home, that much I know. :-) Anyway, Carmen gave me some menjar blanc, a typical pudding dish from Reus, a memory book, and then she and Ruth signed some certificates for me...and then we went out to eat a snack. Ruth also gave me a unique wooden bookmarker that she described as, “One, it won’t make your luggage heavier. Two, I thought you could have it, and every time you pulled it out, you’d think of your year in Spain. Then, years from now, you can pull it out and show your grandchildren and say, ‘Let me tell you about my time in Spain...’”. I just might do that, Ruth. I just might do that.
  • After my time with them, I met up with Carmen Vielba again, and we went to McDonald’s to meet Javi and Elisabet, the other English teacher I would have been with had it not been for her accident (and she still has trouble with that hand!). It was good to see Elisabet one last time, and I ended up going home with Javi.
  • Last time with Anna María: she’s been a special and helpful friend since the beginning of my time here, and she has no “obligation” to do so. I mean, Laura and Olga are English teachers, and Javi’s the school principal. But Anna Maria? She’s done things with me, invited me to dinner, let me call home...all because she’s super sweet and nice. We met for the last time, and she and Oscar gave me a little booklet in Catalan about happiness. I said goodbye to Oscar, and Anna and I drove up to a high village where you can look out and see Montblanc. Unfortunately, it was really foggy, so we didn’t get to see much. But the village was still nice, and a little further down, we could see Montblanc. Mostly, I just liked being with her one last time. And when we got back to Montblanc and faced each other in the street by her house, about to say goodbye for at least awhile and maybe forever, she started to get teary, and that made me get teary...and that made her cry...and that made me cry...and we just stood there crying and hugging each other. It was the first time where I was actually crying in public like that! The funny part was that Anna’s father-in-law, who is exactly like Oscar in personality, looks, and sense of humor (just, you know, a little bit older), came by and saw us crying together in the middle of Montblanc. He was like...uh....are you two okay? :-D Anna had to explain that this was our last time together, and I think he took it upon himself to cheer me up. I left shortly after that, mostly so Anna and I wouldn’t cry harder, and Oscar’s dad walked me partially home (which is all of 50 seconds away). He kept talking about random things and then went on about how I could always come back or Anna and Oscar could visit me in Ohio. Then he started asking about the tornados and problems in the US, and talking to him distracted me enough to help. It was sweet of him, but I still felt kind of blah and teary that whole evening! Anna started it. So there! :-) It was still good to be with her again, and it turned out that this whole weekend has been with my best friends here. More in the next point!
  • Last(ish) time with Olga: we were planning on going to the beach on Saturday afternoon, but the weather was just bleh enough to change plans. So instead, I went with her and her family to see a festival in L’Espluga. All about carquinyolis, a VERY crunchy cookie-like thing that I don’t really like and described it to Laura once as a sweet rock. However, it was good to hang out with Olga, say goodbye to Jordi and Pau, see more giants and hear more Catalan music, see Josep Maria play the drums, try food, and wander around L’Espluga for the last time. I also met some of Olga’s older aunts and relatives, and one woman asked me in slow, exaggerated Spanish, “Entiende español?” (she might have said castellano, which is what everyone says here, but now I’m forgetting). I sweetly quipped back in Catalan, “I català també!” (“and Catalan as well!”), to which another elderly aunt chuckled and said “TOMA!” (take that!...more or less) to her sister or sister-in-law. Tee hee.
  • Last(ish) day with Carmen Torres and family AND Javi and family: Carmen Torres lives in L’Espluga as well, so we met in the plaza and I went with her to her family’s house, where everyone minus Josep Maria were going to eat together. Marta presented me with a professional photograph of their family and me at the medieval dinner. And like all of my close friends who know me well and give me things, they always say that “this doesn’t weigh much!” :-)
  • Carmen Torres, her husband, the two girls, and I drove to Cambrils, a fairly elite beach area. I played several games with the girls in the car, and it was there that Marta, the youngest at 7, found out that it was our last time together. Poor little sad face! But we keep saying that I really need to come back sometime...or they could come to the US. We got to Cambrils before Javi, Cati, and Sergio (Paula had other plans), so we wandered around the beach area for awhile. It’s a pretty place to walk, and it was good to bid farewell to the sea. :-)
  • Javi and family arrived later on, and Javi proudly showed us a cup/trophy that the girls’ soccer team won (from the ZER). This was also the big night when Barça played Manchester in London, and it made the evening more special to me to realize that these soccer/Barça fans spent that evening with me. Wow! The whole atmosphere of Cambrils was tense though...and there were several “sports bars” nearby where Javi and Sergio could peek in to see how things were going. :-)
  • We ate at a nice place literally on the beach. We shared tapas and just had a great time talking and laughing. We just get along really well, and it was also hilarious to see Javi, Sergio, and sometimes Marta jump up and run towards a nearby sports place when people farther away were shouting from watching the game. And Barça won, making my friends supremely happy, the streets INSANE with crazy happy people, and me feeling special that Barça won the highest title in Europe the year I came to Catalunya. Spain won the world cup last year, which was also cool...because it was the year I was headed to Spain. Yeah, I take the credit! :-D
  • After eating, all of us wandered around the beach area and a nice area for walking. We saw some neat sandcastles, I touched the sea and then wiped my wet hands on Segio and Marta, making them giggle, I talked to everyone, I asked Sergio about English class, and it was just another special evening. We stayed out really late, and I ended up going home with Javi and family. I said goodbye to Carmen and family (I’ll most likely see Carmen for a little bit on Monday though), and I was okay...but I could see tears in Carmen and Josep Maria’s eyes...and even the girls looked pretty bummed. I spent a lot of fun times with that family, especially this past month, and I learned so much about the Catalan language and culture from them. I’ll miss them!
  • Sergio slept in the car, and I talked to Javi and Cati off and on and then ended up falling asleep as well, haha. They dropped me off around 1am (with church the next morning for me!), and I had yet another goodbye to do: this time with Cati. Javi said that we’d see each other later, but it was my last time with Cati. She looked misty-eyed as well, and from all of these many goodbyes I’ve had to do, I’ve realized how they’re done. Okay, so the typical greeting and farewell is to give two kisses on either side of the face. We still do that. But when it’s a special, special goodbye, you also give each other a nice long hug. That’s what we did.
  • Last day at church: last week was part one of goodbyes, because several of my good friends wouldn’t be there my last week. But it was still a special and bittersweet day today. Eli, a good friend and Miriam’s sister (the newlywed) gave announcements and asked me to come up. She said some things, gave me the opportunity to say some things, and I suddenly found myself in front of the whole church with a microphone in my face, having to say goodbye to these dear people...in Spanish. A good preparation for this was last week when I was taken by surprise and asked to help collect the offering. Whoa! Yes, females are a lot more involved in this church. :-) It’s going to be weird to NOT see this back home! Anyway, one man prayed for me (another good friend) after I said some stuff (mostly mentioning that my only contact with believers was on Sundays here, so the church was super special to me and has helped me so much. I also said that as brothers and sisters in Christ, we don’t really have to say “goodbye”...it’s more of a “see you later!”. I think that’s what made the church parting so different that other farewells. Even if I never see these dear people on this earth again, I’ll see them again in heaven!) I heard some sniffles during my speech, but overall I felt okay throughout the day. I got a little teary singing in Spanish in church for the last time or what could be a looong time (I still love every minute of that experience!), and I also got a little teary when people were hugging me and giving me well-wishes afterwards, but only if they got teary first. Really, most of it was a kind of happy day...and it was good to connect with newlyweds Miriam and Dani!! They gave me a pretty bracelet as a thank-you gift for a wedding gift I gave them. It was also good to connect with Miriam and another girl who just recently got back from spending several years in the US and is now back home. Miriam lived in England for six years, the other girl is still adjusting to life here, and I’m on the brink of going back to the US after 8 months here, and I’m just reeling with all sorts of emotions lately. We just clicked and I picked up some good tips on how to deal with changes when I get back home! I also met another woman from Mexico that we hadn’t met before. She’s seen me, but we just never have been able to talk. She’s super sweet, and her 4-year-old son is adorable. It was also a special farewell to fun Miriam, a friend who has helped, encouraged, and exhorted me so much these past months here. She also said that if I’m ever in Spain, regardless of where, she’d visit me...then she added that if I’m ever in EUROPE, regardless of where, she’d visit! :-) She also made me promise to send a quick note when I get back to the States to let her know that I arrived safely. And with more email addresses, hugs, and prayers, I left my Lleida friends and church with a similar-yet-totally-different happy heart like when I left that church my first day there. My time there was totally from the Lord, and I’ve grown so much closer to Him from that experience. More bittersweet goodbyes, but...WOW...so many wonderful memories and friendships!!
  • Last day with Laura, Jordi, and Quim: we met for an hour or so in my special cafe in Montblanc this evening. They gave me a pretty bracelet (that doesn’t weigh much, hee hee), and it was good to see them again. Jordi, naturally, had a kind of “sum up your time” discussion with me and had his typical round of difficult questions. His main questions were 1) of everyone I met here, who made the biggest impression on me and 2) who was the weirdest person I met, from the perspective of an American. Who just wouldn’t fit in the US culture. With question number one, the easy and obvious answer is Javi, with Laura coming in second. But seriously, like I told them, Carmen Tinoco, and wrote in my final project assessment, there is only one Javi in this world, and the guy just lives for the school and for others. I think it helps that Cati is a teacher in the ZER as well, but seriously...Javi is super nice, super funny, and completely and almost unhealthily obsessed with the school. And Laura knows me the best of everyone, I think, and I’d consider her my best friend here. We can joke and be serious, she’s helped me out so much and has done so many fun things with me...yeah. Javi and then Laura for question number one! Question number two was harder, and I almost couldn’t think of an answer (Jordi quickly said that he didn’t count!), and then it dawned on me: the weirdest person I met here, one that I never knew how to act around and couldn’t picture that personality in the States...is...the school inspector. Ha! He weirds everyone out, and it’s like he tries to be your buddy but it just doesn’t work out. Yeah. He’s definitely the answer to question number two!
  • Saying goodbye to Jordi was fine, but poor Quim was sobbing when he realized what was going on. We calmed him down by saying that we’d keep in touch, and maybe I’d come back to visit him and his little brother, or maybe they’d come and visit me and my family...in the end, he was okay. I think he was also tired, so I don’t want that to get to my head too much, haha. But I really have grown close to Laura’s family.
  • And now...after eight months...I’m actually at present day. This very moment. Typing some final thoughts at 12:30am with a laptop I’ll be returning tomorrow. I leave Tuesday afternoon to Barcelona and then Wednesday morning I fly to London where I’ll meet Amanda. It really is like my heart’s divided in two. Part of it is totally staying in La Conca. I think in the end, I put down “roots” and established deeper friendships than I expected. It’s just now so different from my time in Mexico. I hate to compare them, because they’re both so different and wonderful in their own way, but as Jordi prodded me today, I realized that I did love my time in Spain more, mostly because I’ve been here longer and have true friends. Saying goodbye has been a lot harder that I imagined, but somehow...God’s just guiding and caring for me. I’m just so incredibly thankful for my time here and the people He used in my life.
  • Tomorrow is a final lunch with all three English teachers, and I think I’ll see Carmen Torres and Javi sometime that day. I also need to finish up packing....yuuuuck!
  • So...eight months, three countries, several regions of Spain, good friends, special church, adorable children, Spanish and Catalan...so much has happened! Final thoughts:
  • Favorite city in Spain: Toledo. Following ones: Granada, Girona, and Tarragona. I must have a thing for T and G cities, haha!
  • Montblanc is an amazing place to live. I just wish I had a car.
  • Best part of my time: THE KIDS.
  • Second best part: MY FRIENDS. This includes teachers and church friends.
  • Third best part: traveling and using non-English languages. Seriously, if you can get out there and experience other cultures...DO IT!
  • Worst experiences: mice in the flat, the luggage issue in Italy, transport stresses with Amanda, the overarching Spanish “system” that’s so incredibly frustrating, especially for an American, and that limiting feeling of not having a car AND not having much public transport.
  • Things I’ll miss: teaching in the ZER, hanging out with people from the ZER, using Spanish and Catalan everyday, never having to fight over the bathroom, being removed from the blah parts of “normal life” back home, stepping outside every day and being surrounded by European history, flan, crepes, cacolat, Spanish ham, earning money for just speaking English, going to that one cafe every single Sunday in Lleida and having a good hour to eat, pray, and read my Bible before heading to church, singing songs in Spanish in church and even, gasp, clapping my hands sometimes, walking into work with joyful cries of SAAARAAAH and being greeted with lots of little hugs, turning on the TV and hearing Spanish, being able to pop in a train or plane and be in another part of Spain or Europe, and being called “la Sarah” or “Sarita”. :-) Or even just being called Sarah with a Spanish/Catalan accent!
  • Things I won’t miss: that stupid buzzer in my flat, hearing the drummer practice down the street, having thin walls where you can hear what’s going on everywhere, opening the squeaky blinds every morning, having a shower with no shower curtain, walking in dog presents, waiting for buses or rides in general, dealing with the overarching Spanish “system” that’s so frustrating sometimes, planning trips (the blah parts of them), dealing with limited or else dreadful internet access, drinking wine during communion (gag), being surrounded by the general alcohol atmosphere (wine at meals, champagne at celebrations, etc.), and trying to figure out if a phrase is incorrect or else British English. Ha!
  • Things I’m looking forward to: seeing Amanda, traveling with Amanda, seeing the UK, landing on US soil, greeting and hugging my parents for the first time in eight months, SEEING MY DOG AND CATS, seeing (and probably hugging) my brothers for the first time in eight months, living in a house, seeing the renovations, watching Tangled and other fun movies I haven’t seen or else haven’t seen in a long time, seeing Valley Chapel friends and family, having access to a car, SEEING MY DOG AND CATS, seeing friends and co-workers, hanging out with my family, taking walks with my dad and dog, having a kitty lay by my feet at night or kneed claws in me and purr, having my sister as my roommate, shopping with my mom, showing my family the things I’ve collected from my time in Europe, sharing some experiences face-to-face, playing a REAL piano, growing in Christ even more, and just seeing what God has planned for the future. There’s a lot I don’t know about right now, but I DO know that God knows, and He has the perfect plan for me, my family, my church, and my passion for languages, kids, His Word, and other cultures. I also have a good 8 or so contacts here that have said that I’m always welcome to come back and stay with them, and my “professional” contacts have grown as well. And I truly feel like my time in Spain/Europe isn’t done yet. It feels time to leave FOR NOW, but...Lord willing, I think I’ll be back here again.
  • And until I’m settled back home and have some time to kill, so ends this blog. The rest will probably just be tweaking or elaborations, most of which would be done for me rather than an “audience”. I’m sure Amanda and I will write about our time in the UK though! :-)
  • Thanks for following my journeys, and a special thank you to those who have prayed, sent emails and cards, gave money, commented on my posts, liked statuses on Facebook, and took the time to read these dreadfully long posts. To be honest, I’m not sure if I’d read something like this...so if you keep up with it, thank you! If you don’t keep up with it, it’s okay...but if it’s anything like my time in Mexico, I’ll probably get all of these questions where the best answer is “Read my emails/blog!” :-) But that’s okay too!

And I just want to end with a special thanks and very clear message to and about my God and Savior. I COULD NOT have done this journey without Him, and I’ve seen and experienced His hand every step of the way. Every good thing about me comes from Him and Him alone. He gets the glory, okay? And just thinking through how I got “here” is just so cool. If you don’t know Him personally, you probably don’t understand a lot of what I write about and why I write it. And if you want to know, just ask. I now know so many wonderful people who don’t know Him, and it truly breaks my heart. If I’ve learned nothing else from my time here, it’s that Christ and His Word are THE most important things ever, and being forced to depend on Him for everything is one of the sweetest and hardest things in the Christian life. All the travels, experiences, friends, and cute kids in the world are nothing compared to His awesome plan, power, goodness, love, care, and holiness. Read Romans 8 and John 14. Your life is nothing without Him, and life is everything with Him!!

From the Valley to the Basin...soon heading from the Basin to the Valley,

Sarah 

1 comment:

  1. Touching finale! Sounds like you had so many sweet good-byes. Look forward to seeing you soon!
    Love,
    Dea

    ReplyDelete